Love Story

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Abby's First Broken Bone!!

Yesterday was our first trip ever to the Primary Children's Hospital. Here's what happened...

We had my mom over for lunch and swimming yesterday. While I was making lunch, Abby was sitting on her chair eating when she lost balance (she was on her knees I think) and fell of the chair and hit our tile floor. She immediately started crying and so I went over and comforted her. She didn't cry for very long.. maybe a min. Then she sat on my mom's lap while I finished making lunch. I feel SOOO bad that I didn't take it more seriously. I thought maybe she just bruised her arm or something. So she just took it easy for the afternoon. Not really complaining about her arm or anything unless I tried to pick her up or something. I found that she would start crying when I would pick her up around her ribs. Then I started thinking maybe she bruised a rib. When Mike got home we debated and debated if we needed to take her to the instacare or maybe the nighttime pediatrics. She was laughing and talking. She could raise her arm (mostly), move her neck back and forth, I didn't know what to do. When the nighttime pediatrics called me back they told me that I better take her to Primary Childrens. Then I had the little problem of Lauren. We didn't want to take her with us so we found a babysitter that would come while she was asleep and just make sure she was ok. My cute mom came back and helped us out with that.
So, we get there FINALLY around 9pm. We didn't have to wait in the waiting room very long.. they took us into this little room and a RN talked to Abby and asked her where her arm hurt. She pointed at her elbow. Then her shoulder. He didn't really know what was wrong so they gave us a room so we could talk to a doctor.
So we go to the room and wait and wait.. a nurse comes in and starts talking to us about billing.. here's the clencher!! We are in between insurances right now!! Mike's new insurance doesn't kick in until July 1st!! They said that they would work with us though.. she was really nice.. so, after that the doctor comes in.. checks her arm and says that he THINKS that she just bruised some tissue. He recommended an Xray because he said that he has been known to be wrong. So we WAIT AND WAIT some more.. finally ANOTHER doctor comes in and checks her arm again. This time Abby starts reacting more when the dr presses on her shoulder. She says that she wants to get an Xray. So we WAIT AND WAIT some more.. and then they come and take us to the Xray room and they lay Abby on the bed and take a couple Xray pics. Then they take us back to the room and we... you guessed it.. we WAITED and WAITED some more!! Abby was funny at this point.. she got off the bed right as the drs came back in and she said to us.. "OK.. I am ready to go home now!!" (It was about 12:30am by this point)We all kind of laugh and the Dr tells her that she is almost done. They told us that she broke her collar bone. There was nothing that they could do about it but prescribe some strong pain meds and give her a sling. So we said that would be fine and they went and got a sling. We think Great.. they will go get the sling and we can go home.. NOPE.. We waited about 40 more mins for them to come back. They finally did about 1am. A nurse puts her sling on and gives us the discharge papers and we are on our way.
We get home, Abby gives grandma a kiss, we put her to bed, I take my mom home, I come back home and FALL ASLEEP!!
Pheww!!! What a long night.

I have to say on a side note though.. I am SOOO blessed!! There was a tiny infant in the next room just screaming and I seriously started to cry!! Then I saw another little boy about 2 years old with both hands bandaged up.. (maybe he burned them, I am not sure). But it really made me realize how blessed I am to have my life. There are so many people in this world that have many more challenges than I do and it really made me stop to think that I need to stop complaining about the little things and look for the blessings that my loving Heavenly Father has given me.

Anyways, Abby is doing really good today. She is a tough cookie!!




4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm no doctor but those x-rays look like they were out of some kids book. -Look here, this is what a broken bone looks like.- Abby is a little trooper.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! How scary! Abby is amazing! If I broke my collar bone, I would be crying for days. I wish we could bring her a treat or balloons or something.
Waiting around at Primary Children's is totally nerve wracking. We once sat around there for 6 hours (not kidding, 6 HOURS) with our 4 day old Ben. They didn't tell us ANYTHING till the very end. (He was just fine though)
Tell Abby Hi, and we hope she feels better soon!

Shan said...

That is so sad! Is she feeling better? I have to agree though, that going to Primary's really puts things in perspective. We have been there a number of times with Macen, and every time we go, I leave feeling really grateful for my challenges, and not someone else. Hope she feel better.

Tiff said...

oh my gosh! how sad. i hate when kids are hurt. it just breaks my heart. poor little thing... let me know if i can do anything for you or abby!!